Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Old Dog, New Tricks YouTube and Laugh and Sell

I posted this this morning at Ken Mc Carthy's Fantastic System Video Blog at

http://www.systemvideoblog.com/2007/01/tell_and_sell.html#comment-27198332

Old Dog, New Tricks and Laugh and Sell

Hi Ken, I agree wholeheartedly.

This old dog (56) who only started making videos (and uploading them) 3 weeks ago is now creating one to sell his house. The house is 45 miles out in the country and video allows me to bring it into the city nearby. Every detail.

This all started with you and your post regarding a Pure Digital camera. Thanks for jolting me into action - and jolt it has been, with 17 videos on YouTube and 30 on Google Video.

Am I effectively monetising yet? Not in a huge way, but I am having FUN and learning a ton with both my serious and my silly videos. I'm just getting started here folks :-)
Example - a video I put up yesterday of my ridiculous cat at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKWXY387K0

now has YouTube honors today of

#24 - Top Rated (Today) - Pets & Animals - All

#23 - Top Rated (Today) - Pets & Animals - English

(If you take a look vote on it, maybe I can be #1 today :-)

Why would a silly cat video be of any interest to a serious marketer ?

It's something I am very interested in and I call this "Laugh and Sell"

If you think silly can't sell, you must see the videos "Will it Blend?" that Blendtech puts up. In their latest they blend an ipod in their $400 blender. Yep, an iPod.

Waste of time? Crazy?

Crazy like a fox.

Their iPod blending video has had over 2 MILLION views!

Think maybe they sold a few $400 blenders?

Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8H29jU8Wrs

Now think about their expenses.

YouTube = FREE. The production cost maybe a few hundred bucks.

They wisely registered willitblend.com and all their "silly" videos lead folks there. They blend rakes, golf balls, cell phones - what have you!

It is an example of pure marketing genius and they get my vote for innovative dirt cheap marketers of the year, 2006.

Have I got your brains going folks?

Video has opened possibilities for imaginative marketers almost beyond comprehension....

Ed O

Posted by: Ed Osworth January 03, 2007 at 07:42 AM

No comments: